Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ted's birthday wishes from Jill V.

Dear Ted,
When you gathered a bunch of us together in Brandon, VT in March of 2009, I was renewing my Afghanistan love affair that had been simmering for 30 some-odd years since my Peace Corps experience there. Hearing from the young Afghans and from you was inspiring. You spoke so well of why you were there and what needed to be done and how SOLA was making a difference.

I was there that day because of my young friend from Kabul whom you helped find her way to Middlebury College. Shabana Basij-Rasikh had told me the story of SOLA and how much it meant to her. As our friendship has grown over the course of her career at Middlebury, I've learned many other things from her and have you to thank for that. We have collaborated a few times to help the movie project raise awareness of the Afghanistan of the 60's and to raise some funds for a few agencies and individual students. I have seen and heard Americans' reactions to hearing her story. Her intelligence and commitment to her countrymen stand out. Many, many thanks for all you have done to support her and others like her.

Well wishes from all of us in Peace Corps Group 15, the vaccinators, and for a healthy, happy year.

Jill Vickers
"Once in Afghanistan" movie project

No comments:

Post a Comment