Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Daughter of War

[Editor’s note: Written on Sunday, 15 April, 2012, in Kabul during rocket attacks on government and diplomatic areas.]

I wrote this at the night, when the fight was going on. It was quiet night, because everyone was sleep, but we could hear the sound of helicopter and shooting. We did not have electricity as well; my computer had just 30% charge...

I hope you like it.

I am daughter of war.

When I was born
The war was going on
The sky was dark
The houses were broken
The weather was dusty
The trees were seared
There was no plant,
No human was awake
No tears in the eyes left
The streets were covered
By dead human’s bodies  
The blood was like a river
In the street, house and everywhere

I didn't consider failure
I was full of hope
I could see
Green places, a blue sky
Smiles in everyone’s face, tall buildings,
A book in my hand
Sitting under the tree
Studying with my parents and siblings
In my dreams
But

War never gave this chance.
War took my parents from us
War took my book
And gave me burqa
War forbade me from going outside
They put me in the jail of burqa
War changed my beautiful land
To the worst place in the world
War changed our smiles to tears
War made our dreams
Of going to school
Freedom of speech
To be just a dream
But

I will try
I will stand for my right
I will break the silence
I will show my power
And I will bring peace
In my country once again

I promised
There will be no more war
I will make my dreams true

Once again
My homeland will be like heaven
And my people will be released
— By, Zahra A. (04/15/12)

No comments:

Post a Comment