Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Asking an Afghan sister to forgive

I read a poem by an Afghan woman, a work of 59 years ago. It was about all these stupid acts against my Afghan sisters. I really kind of sit silent sometimes and am being ashamed as an Afghan Male. And there are whole lot of problems that our country is faced with which requires our help.

We can only solve them together as one.

I kind of wanted to ask a sister to help her brother who was part of the suppression back years ago to forgive him (though it is more than hard)—and to stand for shared challenges.

— By Walliulah Hairan (4/16/12)

This veil cannot conceal me, as my hair --
its mere sight -- will not paint me bare.

I am Sun. I glimmer through curtain's cloth.
It can't eclipse my light, not the darkest dark.

The pious man wouldn't urge me to veil
if he weren't so godly, so godly, so frail.

O you people of the Land of The Way!
Tell me, how does my hair lead you astray?

I see no sense in the wisdom you sell:
you who've wronged me, why will I burn in hell?

I refuse to be chastened, to lower my head
bend for the sake of your own feeble legs

You men of God! Cast your eyes from my face.
go and hide your weakness of self --
veil, veil your withering faith
                                  — Bahar Saeed (1953)

Distributed by:
The Network for Afghan Women List

* Information * Action * Capacity * Collaboration *
To subscribe/unsubscribe: info@funders-afghan-women.org

No comments:

Post a Comment