Sunday, January 9, 2011

An honor to know you — The B-Rs

My family and I have known Ted for six years now. I first encountered him at my high school in Afghanistan where he was interviewing students for a U.S. State-Department-funded program called YES (Youth Exchange and Study). After spending a year in Wisconsin as a YES scholar, I returned to Afghanistan in 2006.

Accepting Ted’s offer to work for him at American Councils was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. During my one year there, Ted took it upon himself to mentor me. He allowed me to take on big responsibilities in the office, such as chaperoning 20 students traveling to Islamabad to apply for visas. Ted included me in management meetings and I accompanied him during several meetings with the U.S. Embassy in Kabul. He encouraged me to present, whether to the deputy minister of education or to the U.S. Ambassador. And now I cannot help but take on bigger and bigger responsibilities in life.

Ted is an incredible human being. He has a unique perspective on the value of education in Afghanistan—a perspective that very few share with him. In a country where the illiteracy rate is skyrocketing, he believes in educating one person at a time. You will always hear him say, “SOLA is people to people” and “SOLA helps those who help themselves.” It is very true. You can only begin to appreciate those words and ideas when you observe his Afghan students, and when you realize how much progress each has made academically.

Ted, it is an honor to know you as a boss, mentor, advisor—and now, as a colleague. I can assure you that your students feel the same way. Happy Birthday!

Respectfully,

The B-Rs

No comments:

Post a Comment